Digital Life Central is reader-powered. We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program and other affiliates programs. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
If Garmin is one of the best smartwatch brands for improving your sports performances, MyFitnessPal is famous for helping users take control of their nutrition. The goal is to be healthy and lose or maintain weight correctly and durably.
The app and device combo combine the best of the food and exercise worlds, leading to quantifiable results.
If the Garmin smartwatch will only cost you the price of the hardware, the MyFitnessPal business model is subscription-based. So you will have to pay close to $20 a month or $80 when paying the whole year.
I am not a big fan of having to pay all the time to access Premium features, as these small fees add up to a significant amount of cash at the end of the month. But don’t worry, connecting MyFitnessPal to a Garmin device can be done even with the free App version.
Connecting these two leaders in their respective domains is easy and should not take more than two minutes. Thanks to the preintegration of MyFitnessPal with Garmin Connect, the Garmin devices’ companion app.
Ready? Let’s dive into the two methods that can be used to connect Garmin and MyfitnessPal.
Link MyFitnessPal to Garmin Through the Garmin Connect App
My Garmin Connect App is the control center of any Garmin smartwatches or fitness trackers. Available for iOS and Android devices, Garmin Connect goes far beyond a simple app used to check your step count or heart rate. The App also allows for exchanging data between several third-party apps, including Strava, Apple Health, and of course, MyFitnessPal.
As long as a Garmin Connect compatible App is installed on your smartphone, it should also be available for linking.
When installing MyfitnessPal on your device, create an account as you will be asked to login into your MyFitnessApp account to complete the link.
To connect MyFitnessApp to Garmin Connect, follow these steps:
- Open Garmin Connect on your iOS or Android smartphone,
- Tap on “More,” symbolized by three dots on the bottom right of the screen on an iOS device or in the top-right corner on an Android device.
- The next step is to tap on “Settings” at the bottom of the “More” screen and tap on “Connected Apps.”
- The Connected Apps screen will show the list of the third-party apps that are compatible with your Garmin device.
- Select “MyFitnessPal,” read and agree with the terms and conditions.
- The “MyFitnessPal” screen will then appear with additional instructions. You will be asked to open and log in with MyFitnessPal App and to tap on “Link Accounts” to finalize the connection process.
- You will then have to accept that MyFitnessPal will have the ability to read&write data in the Garmin Connect App.
That’s it! Garmin Connect will not receive data from MyFitnessPal that will help you accurately monitor your daily calorie intake and outtake.
As you noticed, the connection process is simple but don’t forget to install, create an account and open the MyFitnessPal App for the two apps to connect smoothly.
Link MyFitnessPal to Garmin Through the Garmin Connect Website
Garmin Connect is available on smartphones and through a web browser. The same applies to MyFitnessPal. In my experience, the Garmin and MyFitnessPal websites offer more options than their mobile counterpart apps.
To link MyFitnessPal to Garmin from your computer, follow these steps:
- Log in or create an account on the MyFitnessPal website.
- Then click on the “APP” Menu and select “Mobile.” All of the MyFitnessPal compatible apps will appear.
- Click “Get” underneath the Garmin Connect App in the Featured App menu. The Garmin Connect website will then open in a new tab.
- Now, click on “Connect to MyFitnessPal” and agree to the Terms and Conditions that will appear on a popup window.
Done, your Garmin Watch and Garmin Connect App will now seamlessly exchange data. Again, we told you, the connection process was easy.
But what if you want to break this link? Don’t worry; this is simple.
How to Disconnect MyFitnessPal from Garmin through Garmin Connect?
The first steps are the same as the ones we described to connect both apps: Tap on More, Settings, and Connected apps, but this time MyFitnessPal will be found under the Connected Apps section. Next, tap on MyFitnessPal and then tap on “Disconnect.” That is as simple as that.
How to Disconnect MyFitnessPal from Garmin through The Garmin Connect website?
Do you prefer to use the Garmin Connect website? Well, I am sorry to tell you that there seems to be a bug and that it doesn’t work.
In theory, to break the link between third-party apps and Garmin Connect from the website, you need to log in to your Garmin Connect account, tap on “Settings” in the menu under your profile picture, then on “Account Information” and finally on Disconnect next to the name of the App.
But, MyFitnessPal will not appear on the website account information menu. We know this is weird, and it does not make a lot of sense, but as of the time of this writing, if you want to disconnect MyFitnessPal from Garmin, you will have to use Garmin Connect on your smartphone.