Digital Life Central is reader-powered. We are a participant in the Amazon LLC Associates Program and other affiliates programs. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
- What should you check first?
- Nine common problems and their solutions
- 1. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on or charge
- 2. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on after a factory reset
- 3. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on after shutdown
- 4. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on after swimming
- 5. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on after the battery dies
- 6. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on after charging
- 7. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on when I turn my wrist
- 8. Fitbit Ionic won't turn on after reset
- 9. Fitbit Ionic black screen won't turn on
- Final Thoughts
The Fitbit Ionic was released in October 2017 and was considered the company’s first-ever real smartwatch. However, with a futuristic design, the watch brought controversy in the Fitness and Smartwatch enthusiasts’ community.
With four-day battery life and many watch faces to choose from, it did not forget the fitness tracker origins of the company. It brought many health features, such as the heart rate monitor, that are currently common for smartwatches. Even more, the Fitbit Ionic smartwatch introduced Fitbit Pay and the possibility for payment on the fly…Even though the software was initially plagued with some bugs, the Fitbit Ionic changed the way wearables invaded our lives.
Despite its many qualities and drawbacks, many complained about the Fitbit ionic Watch not turning on. This article will guide you through the tips and tips you should know to bring back your Fitbit Ionic Smartwatch to life.
What should you check first?
The screen will often stay black, and the watch will not turn on for lack of power. Especially if your Ionic has not been used for quite some time, the first thing to do is roll out the obvious. Let your Fitbit Ionic for a couple of hours. Ninety percent of the time, this will sort out the issue. But not always, unfortunately.
So let’s dive deeper into the other potential issues that can be resolved quickly.
Nine common problems and their solutions
Below, you will find nine common reasons why the screen of the Ionic will remain black.
1. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on or charge
In that case, the problem may not be linked to the Ionic itself but to the USB charging cable or adapter. Check that the plugs are correctly inserted and that the connectors are not rusty or covered with dirt. This will happen more often than you think. Use a smooth, dry cloth and remove the dust that covers the plugs. Make sure that the charging port of the Ionic is clean as well.
You should also check that the plug is connected correctly. Verify that the pins are correctly aligned as well.
The plug socket may also be the culprit, so it is always good to plug another device and verify that everything is fine.
Remember that you should always use the original charger or one approved by Fitbit. Using third-party chargers can damage your device, so using a cheap charger is never a good idea. Instead, stick only to those coming from Fitbit. They may cost a little bit more, but at least your smartwatch will be safe.
2. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after a factory reset
Proceeding to a factory reset is never something that should be considered lightly as it will delete all your data.
With the Fitbit Ionic, the process is quite simple:
- Push the three buttons simultaneously and keep them pressed for 15 seconds until the watch reboots.
- When the Fitbit logo appears on the screen, you can release the bottom right button while maintaining the other two.
- A strong vibration will indicate that the factory reset was successful and that you can release the remaining two buttons.
If the Fitbit Ionic doesn’t turn on following a factory reset, proceed to the following, keeping in mind that one hour of charging is required.
- Open the Fitbit App on your phone and tap your profile picture,
- A new window will appear. Tap Fitbit Ionic under ” Devices”
- Select “Sync Now” from the menu.
- The watch should synchronize with the App.
If there isn’t a hardware issue, this will turn your device on. If it doesn’t, it may be an excellent time to consider contacting Fitbit support.
3. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after shutdown
This issue can happen after a software update. One of the solutions is to hold the left and bottom buttons together for roughly 20 seconds and wait for the logo to appear. It will act as a manual reset while keeping all the data intact.
Remember that especially after an update, the battery can also be drained. So, make sure to let your Fitbit device charge for at least one hour before considering this trick.
4. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after swimming
The Fitbit Ionic is water-resistant up to 50 meters, which, at the time, was significantly more than other waterproof wearables, which were mainly splashproof.
Proceed with our Advice #3, which is a soft reset. If it doesn’t work, go one step further and proceed to the Factory reset procedure described in #2.
If none of the reset procedures bring back your Ionic to life and the screen remains black, and you do not see the watch face, contact Fitbit support. Some water may have infiltrated the case in the worst-case scenario, and you will need a new device.
5. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after the battery dies
As always, make sure that the battery is fully charged and proceed to a soft and then a hard (factory) reset if it still doesn’t work. Please keep in mind that the batteries of any smartwatches will be given for a certain number of charges and that they will gradually lose power. If your Fitbit Ionic is more than a couple of years old and that you used it extensively.
The issue may be linked to the battery itself not holding the charge anymore. It may be a good time to replace your device. Have you considered the Fitbit Charge 5? Check our full review! You will not be disappointed.
6. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after charging
This issue has been reported numerous times by users. It is often relatively easy to solve. For proceeding to the following:
- Go to the Fitbit App and sign up.
- Then, under the Today tab, tap the Profile Picture.
- Now, tap your device’s image.
- Tap the Faces of the Clocks
- Now choose any Clock Face at random and apply it. The phone should sync with the watch and bring it back to life.
If it still doesn’t work, proceed to a “soft reset,” then a “hard reset,” and ultimately contact Fitbit Support if your watch remains unresponsive.
7. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on when I turn my wrist
Don’t worry! It may not be as bad as it looks. Just check in the settings that this feature is enabled.
- Go to the settings menu in your Fitbit account,
- Look for “Screen Wake”
- Check the setting. If it is set to “Manual,” change it to “Auto.” It could not be simpler!
If it doesn’t work correctly despite the setting being on “Auto” mode, proceed first to a “soft reset” followed by a hard one if the soft one doesn’t solve the issue.
8. Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after reset
This is a real issue and maybe a sign that your Fitbit ionic device is faulty. Contact Fitbit Support.
9. Fitbit Ionic black screen won’t turn on
There are several reasons why the screen may remain black. The most obvious is that the watch is not charged correctly. So to rule out this issue, charge your watch for a couple of hours.
Then if it doesn’t help, proceed to a hard reset. If your Fitbit watch stays unresponsive despite being charged and following a “factory reset,” contact Fitbit Support and ask for a replacement device if the warranty still covers your watch.
The Fitbit Ionic opened the doors of the smartwatch world not only to Fitbit but also to many users. With its iconic look and features, including sleep tracking, this watch was port of a move to change the world of smartwatches.
Somehow, as with any piece of technology, it was not exempt from flaws. The Fitbit Ionic not turning on being the most obvious one. But at least now, you are well equipped to deal with such issues.